Friday, 30 October 2015

Week 5 - X-Wing Part 1 (Completed)


(It wont let me change the size of the font, I apologise for the small font)


This is my first 3D Model that I have made, this is the X-Wing. I completed this model on 27th October.


First of all I created a box and made it into a rectangle shape, this was my base/starting point for my model. From here it was quite easy to recreate. I chose one vertical side edge and used the tool "Ring" which chooses all the other same vertical edges, this makes it easier for me as it decreases time. After this I then used the "Connect" tool to connect all of these edges, this creates a line going around the middle of the box. This line I then scaled to make a squished pentagon shape. The faces on these sides of the pentagon, I used inset and then used the tool bevel to "extrude" them in a way. I then used "Bevel" again to make the second bit of the wing. This was the very first section done. I also created the front bit of the ship separately by creating loads of vertex so I could make the shape more round, there was probably an easier way of doing this but at the time I thought that this was the best option. 


The next save that I did included using the "Bevel" tool to create the other main body of the ship. "Bevel" is a more useful tool for me because it doesn't just extrude it to a straight shape, you can curve it so it has a slight slant which is exactly what I wanted for the X-Wing because this ship doesn't have a straight body. I then connected the front point to the rest of the body. Another thing I did was create the engine at the back of the ship, again I used "Bevel" and  "Extrude" to create this effect. 


After examining what I had modelled so far I thought that the ship was too long and that the wings were too far apart. So this was another save that I incremented by using the scale tool. 


I then decided to create the cockpit where the pilot would go. This was a matter of creating a few edges and also using the tools "Extrude", "Bevel" and "Scale" while focusing on the side view of the X-Wing to try and get the cockpit the same shape. 

So far this model was quite simple to make by using effective but so little tools.  

No comments:

Post a Comment